Friday, May 24, 2013

Radishes for Breakfast

My French Breakfast radishes are aptly named since I just finished eating some this morning along with some volunteer German White radishes. The German Whites I had let go to seed last year in the garden so I could save the seeds. They are an heirloom from Seed Savers Exchange which is an important organization of which I am a long term member. More on that later but for now this blog that I have been planning is finally off to a start. As you can see from the photo the German Whites have slight root maggot damage whereas the French Breakfast do not. I applied diatomaceous earth to the soil as I planted the seeds this spring. However, the reason I grow French Breakfast radishes in the first place is their natural resistance to such pests compared to other common varieties of radishes. Hmmmm, there is a chance here for a side-by-side experiment in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment